Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
Skywise Skywise is offline

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

I mailed the real bank customer service department to inform them that
someone had managed to hijack their primary domain. I went to a lot of
trouble to point out that this was not your usual phishing mail, and was

Reminds me of an experience I had. At my work I received an email
for someone inquiring about our service. I dutifully replied with
the requested information. I then get a request wanting to know
how much it would be for 6 months advance payment. I again replied
with the numbers. The next email from them was with a name, address,
CC number and all the info I'd need to run the card with a request
to do so. Thing is, we require a contract for our services that
can only be filled out in person. I explained this to the emailer.
They're reply was to insist that "this is very easy for you to do.
Just run the card." This confirmed my suspicion that it was a known
scam for my line of work.

Anyway, now to the good part. Realizing this person was trying to
use stolen information, I tried calling Visa to report it. Just
a bunch of droids. Eventually I did get to someone in their security
department that told me is was a bank card issued by Washington
Mutual. So I called them. More droids. At one point I had to hang
up on one guy because I could barely hear him and his accent was so
thick I don't think it would have mattered if I could hear him.

So finally, about an hour into this exercise of being bounced back
and forth between departments, I get a hold of someone to give the
card info to. I _COULD NOT_ get them to understand that I was
trying to report a card that was being used fraudulently and that
they needed to contact the owner to let them know. Further more,
they wanted _MY_ personal information.

So, here I was, trying to be the nice guy to report a stolen card
so the owner doesn't have his account wiped out. HA!!!! Good luck!!

Perhaps I should have just Googled the card owner and called them
myself. Probably would have taken all of five minutes.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?