Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bayonet ID

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 21:15:08 -0500, Ignoramus21192

On 2008-06-08, Tom wrote:
Ignoramus21192 wrote:

Anyone knows what gun is this bayonet for?

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Bayonet/

Also, there is some sort of etching on the rear of the handle, covered
by rust. Is there some way to clean off rust without destroying
etching?

Austro=Hungarian Mannlicher Carbine,
Bajonett M95, NCO's Pattern for Stutzen M95.

Tom this is great. I think that your guess may be close, but it may be
not exactly?

Here's the pic:

http://www.geocities.com/alancook.geo/m95bayonet.jpg

its hand guard is a little different.

I think that this may be a diff. kind of m95 bayonet.

Here's another cool page

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/Mann95.htm

and a picture

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/img/Mann95bayo1.jpg

this matches my bayonet perfectly!!!!

Thanks a lot!

My bayonet has no markings, except possibly etchings on the back,
where there is some rust covering it. So it may even be counterfeit.

Tom

iggy..Keep in mind that even within a rifle series such as m95..there
were often many differences in bayonet hardware.. m95s issued to the
Kriegsmarine might be different in some spec..such as blade length or
grip material, than one issued to the Medical Corps etc etc

Such differences keep bayonet collectors on their toes for a life
time.

gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal