Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bayonet ID

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:05:12 +1200, Tom
wrote:

Ignoramus21192 wrote:

Anyone knows what gun is this bayonet for?

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Bayonet/

Also, there is some sort of etching on the rear of the handle, covered
by rust. Is there some way to clean off rust without destroying
etching?

Austro=Hungarian Mannlicher Carbine,
Bajonett M95, NCO's Pattern for Stutzen M95.

Tom

indeed.

I thought it was the Mexican M1899 Remington Arms Contract Bayonet,
but the mounted swivel had me confused for a bit.

thats a fairly rare bayonet, at least in the western states btw..you
may wish to find something else to use as a work knife.

Bayonets generally make ****ty work knives, both because of their lack
of edge holding ability..materials/heat treated for unbreakability
(lowest bidder...sigh) and the blade design tends to be too fat for
decent edge holding...unless you thin the edge way the **** back.

swedes are better knives, but then they tend to be a bit too thin. Ive
seen a couple broken ones over the years.

Sell it and buy a half dozen new work knives

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal