Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mail order lumber and plywood

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
me wrote:

All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy
at the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from
for mail order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would
purchase 50 or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber: www.walllumber.com It's been a
bit
over a year since I bought from them, but have purchased a couple of
times and been satisfied.

I use to buy all my lumber there. They would give me **** sometimes over
what they call 'picking' (no, not my nose!)
The crap usually ends up on the top and they didn't like you to take from
the bottom of a stack. This was because most people don't clean-up after
themselves and ruin it for everyone else.

Haven't had any experience in person, only by shipped order. I was a
little concerned when first ordering that I might get the leavings such as
you see on the tops of the stacks. Their shipped lumber was not at all
like that -- that's made me a happy customer.

I shop at "the hardwood store" now. The only thing that is a little odd
about their store is that they skim plane ALL of their lumber (so you can
see the grain, I guess). I still haven't figured out if I like that or
not. They also ship.

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/shipping.html

I'll keep them in mind in the future as a backup.