Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mail order lumber and plywood

All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy at
the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from for mail
order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would purchase 50
or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

me wrote:
All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy at
the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from for mail
order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would purchase 50
or 100 bd ft. at a time.

I'd look into local cabinet/millwork shops first -- often they will sell
small lots from stock or, if nothing else, either order from their
suppliers or tell you who they use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

me wrote:

All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy
at the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from for
mail order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would
purchase 50 or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber: www.walllumber.com It's been a bit
over a year since I bought from them, but have purchased a couple of times
and been satisfied.

I'm looking for some figured cherry and am thinking about trying advantage
lumber -- anybody had any recent experiences with them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

I'd look into local cabinet/millwork shops first -- often they will
sell small lots from stock or, if nothing else, either order from
their suppliers or tell you who they use.

Should've said that in the original post. After local retailer retired I
went to several millwork shops but they've sold and the new owners won't
sell raw stock.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
me wrote:

All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy
at the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from
for mail order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would
purchase 50 or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber: www.walllumber.com It's been a
bit
over a year since I bought from them, but have purchased a couple of
times and been satisfied.

I use to buy all my lumber there. They would give me **** sometimes over
what they call 'picking' (no, not my nose!)
The crap usually ends up on the top and they didn't like you to take from
the bottom of a stack. This was because most people don't clean-up after
themselves and ruin it for everyone else.

Haven't had any experience in person, only by shipped order. I was a
little concerned when first ordering that I might get the leavings such as
you see on the tops of the stacks. Their shipped lumber was not at all
like that -- that's made me a happy customer.

I shop at "the hardwood store" now. The only thing that is a little odd
about their store is that they skim plane ALL of their lumber (so you can
see the grain, I guess). I still haven't figured out if I like that or
not. They also ship.

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/shipping.html

I'll keep them in mind in the future as a backup.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 18:27:33 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber: www.walllumber.com It's been a bit
over a year since I bought from them, but have purchased a couple of times
and been satisfied.

Hey! Something we agree on :-).

Yep, Wall Lumber is good folks. I haven't bought from them in a while,
but when I did the lumber was even better quality than they had promised.

Posted to rec.woodworking

me wrote:
All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to
buy at the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away
from for mail order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and
would purchase 50 or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA

I've used two mentioned by others: Steve Wall and The Hardwood Store. NP
with either, I prefer the latter. Both are in North Carolina.

Mostly, I wanted to point out that wood of a given species from North
Carolina will differ from the same species obtained from, say, Wisconsin.
Colder growing conditions affect the growth rings and that affects
appearance and milling.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 8:15*pm, me wrote:
All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy at
the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from for mail
order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would purchase 50
or 100 bd ft. at a time.
TIA

HI,

I too have used Wall lumber and have nothing but good things to say
about them. I have also use badger hardwoods, they are in Wisconson.
They also do a good job. On some types of wood they are cheaper than
Wall Lunber and some times they are more, I have the links to both on
my website under links.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

randyswoodshoop wrote:

.... snip

I too have used Wall lumber and have nothing but good things to say
about them. I have also use badger hardwoods, they are in Wisconson.
They also do a good job. On some types of wood they are cheaper than
Wall Lunber and some times they are more, I have the links to both on
my website under links.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Could you post the link to Badger? I've tried a couple of guesses, but no
luck.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
randyswoodshoop wrote:

.... snip
I too have used Wall lumber and have nothing but good things to say
about them. I have also use badger hardwoods, they are in Wisconson.
They also do a good job. On some types of wood they are cheaper than
Wall Lunber and some times they are more, I have the links to both on
my website under links.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Could you post the link to Badger? I've tried a couple of guesses, but no
luck.

Thanks

www.badgerwood.com

Posted to rec.woodworking