Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Southerner Southerner is offline

Default Please need help about 2708 eprom...

On Jun 4, 6:40*pm, "JA" formula1vhs@ TOGLIMI hotmail.com wrote:
hi guys!
I need to have an obsolete 2708 eprom programmer-reader..
It's very difficult to find modern eprom programmers that do this!
I have buyed a willeim but it does everithing but 2708!!
Well if it's possible i would make one.
I'm very good skinned as electronic handy man , but i can't know how to make
it.
Can someone help me?
And if someone got an old eprom programmer let me know!

The old Needhams PB10 programmer will work but requires an ISA slot on
the computer so newer computers can not be used for the PB10. I ran
into a similar situation but was trying to read and program 1702A
eproms. I ended up getting a Data I/O model 29B programmer (think the
model 22 will work too) on ebay. The programmers were cheap but if
getting them on ebay buyer beware. Anyway the Data I/O 29 and 22's
will read and program the 2708 and others provided that you have the
correct personality module. My 29B has the Unipack which has sevaral
different sockets that allow me to read various chips. You have to
set up the programmer for the chip you are reading and then put it in
the correct socket. If your computer has a serial port then you can
upload the hex file for the chip that you just read to your computer
and program other chips. If that is not an option then you might read
the 2708 then program a newer chip (like a 2716) and then read that on
a programmer that does talk to your computer as 2716 programmers were
very popular as DIY projects in the late 70's and through the 80's and
most programmers read the 2716 and up.

I hope that helps.