Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

? "James Sweet" ?????? ??? ??????

The central air kicks on without my lights dimming, and I am in North
Central Florica.

Mine dim slightly for an instant when my 3 ton heat pump kicks in, it's
only noticeable with the few incandescent lights left in the house though.
The LRA on that thing is something like 90A. I think most of the drop must
be in the 50' or so of 2/0 AL wire between the meter base and the
transformer though as they don't seem to dim at all from any of the
neighbors.

That's because you have no bloody wind-turbines on your grid. We have here,
and I had to include them in my thesis, and these things seriously harm the
voltage quality in interconnected grids. In stand-alone residence
installations, they work ok, probably with photovoltaics, but here they are
a disaster, in whole Crete all the lights flicker every evening when the
bloody wing stalls them and they convert momentarily from generating to
motors. I prefer old-fashioned fossil-fuel fired power plants, after all
smoking chimneys is a token of peace:-)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering