Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts

On Jun 6, 9:39*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Thanks, but unless I'm looking at the wrong type of plow bolt, they
are not the same.

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head
to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow
bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if
the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it
is.

Can you not just file or grind down the head of a carriage bolt so it's
close to what you're looking for? You could do the essentially the same to a
regular headed bolt too. If you need the thick neck that carriage bolts have
to hold it place, then you could use a fully threaded bolt and just add a
nut screwed on all the way.

Can you not just file or grind down the head of a carriage bolt so
it's close to what you're looking for?

The project I need these bolts for has some very strict rules about
manufacturing your own parts or modifying readily available parts. My
options for this bolt are pretty limited - carriage or elevator, by
rule. Due to air-flow issues over the surface where the bolts will be
installed, the carriage bolts would be a distant second choice.

These bolts are for a Soap Box Derby car where races are won or lost
by thousandths of a second. Every opportunity to provide as smooth a
surface as possible must be taken advantage of.

"Let up for a second and that's where you'll finish."