Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts

On Jun 5, 11:37*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:31*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jun 5, 5:55*pm, whit3rd wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place
I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". *

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if
you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread
will do it. *When the head type matters, I've also used
splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

Thanks. *Looks just like a 'plow bolt'. *I had never heard the term
'elevator bolt' but was too lazy to google it.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Looks just like a 'plow bolt'

Thanks, but unless I'm looking at the wrong type of plow bolt, they
are not the same.

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head
to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow
bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if
the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it
is.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20hprmt&s=3

I may just go with the 50 piece order from Fastenal. I'm sure I'll
find a use for them once I have them. Cutting a long bolt down is
easier than stretching a short one. g