Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through a cinder block wall?

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 11:37 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through a cinder
block wall?

I've researched a variety of suggestions from a hammer and a star drill,

drilling a ring of small holes in a circle with a carbide bit to renting

or
buying a diamond tipped core bit. What's the best way of doing it so as
NOT to crack the block?

--
Bobby G.

They make 2" masonry bits for hammer drills. Drill each side instead
of drilling all from one side. This is what causes blowouts.

Just like drilling through wood like that causes splintering. Excellent
advice, thanks. I have a masonry bit with a small diameter (3/8" IIRC) and
an 18" long shaft that I thought I would drill through first to give me a
center hole for the hole saw guide bit on each side.

Just a reminder, if it is a 2 inch pipe, the bit needs to be at least 2.5.

Already factored in. It's 1.5" pipe.

Thanks!

--
Bobby G.