Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Please need help about 2708 eprom...

Stephen D. Barnes wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
JA wrote:

hi guys!
I need to have an obsolete 2708 eprom programmer-reader..
It's very difficult to find modern eprom programmers that do this!
I have buyed a willeim but it does everithing but 2708!!
Well if it's possible i would make one.
I'm very good skinned as electronic handy man , but i can't know how
to make it.
Can someone help me?
And if someone got an old eprom programmer let me know!

I have a BK model 840 universal E(E)PROM programmer and external
"pod" where the EPROM plugs in.
I have the software onmy HD which i can copy to a floppy or CD; i
might have the original floppy(ies) but cannot say without looking.
You will need an older computer with at least one ISA bus for the card.
It is capable of programming a large number of device types made by
a goodly number of makers.
I have never had any trouble with it and fully expect it to be in
brand-new condition, even tho i had used it a number of times.
E-mail me if interested.

I would bet he's working on an arcade video game system. They used this
eprom as what was called the "personality module" back in the day!

I've never heard them called personality modules, just logic boards,
game boards, etc. Most classic games were designed on a hardware
platform unique to that game, and only a few very early ones used
something as old as the 2708. By the the time the arcade boom came
along, 2716s, 2732s, and 2764s were dominant. I've got a whole basement
full of them and have been repairing them for years so I'm pretty
familiar with the hardware.

Lots of assorted equipment made in the early to mid 70s used eproms
though. Plenty of early mini and microcomputers.