Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Ironwood (Lignum Vitae)

In message , John
writes
We all know Mac loves his Lignum Vitae, but does anyone know of sources
within the UK?

I have found a one, but they have only small pieces of branch 6 inch x
2 inch. The other option being redundant crown green bowls, but they
again are limited in size

Well, I have been lucky to pick up a couple of Crown Green Bowls, made
of Lignum Vitae, so now its a case of turning this round object into
another round object, well after I figure out how to hold them.

There appears to be three holes in one side, probably for a chuck of
some type, as they do not seem deep enough to take screws (about 1/4
inch). There is also an insert which is about 1 inch diameter on both
sides. I am currently thinking of holding the bowl by the three holes,
and then converting the insert recess on the other side to a dovetail.
Has anyone tried this before? IS there a better way of holding them?
--
John