Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default O/T: We've Come a LONG Way

Upscale wrote:
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message
P.S. "Tolerance" is a goal for fools. Honesty, integrity, beauty,
and truth are the goals for grown ups. Tolerance is for people
who dread being held to account for their actions and views and
resort to tolerating everything as a countermeasure.

You may want to choose some of your words more carefully. The word
"Tolerance" can take many forms including bigotry, prejudice and hatred of
those who are different. Solely for the reason that I use a wheelchair, I've
experienced "intolerance" a number of times. I'm perfectly fine with being
held to account for my actions. I'm not fine with experiencing prejudice and
intolerance for things that I have no control over.

David Moore

With all due respect, *everyone* has experiences some form of
"intolerance" at some point, but the answer is not to jump up and down
and scream for more tolerance. I do not wish my deficits - even the
ones not of my own making - to be "tolerated". I want my virtues and
abilities *celebrated*.

"Tolerance" is a bottom of the barrel notion that people cling to
because they have such low expectations for themselves and their
society. Moreover, to be fully tolerant is to tolerate evil ... which
is more-or-less where the West has been heading for decades.

The OP on this thread was clapping his hands and jumping for joy
because a black man and a woman has been involved in a major electoral
competition. So what? Neither of them had anything to do with being
black or a woman respectively. They didn't *earn* these distinctions
by merit, hard work, perseverance, or education but we're supposed to
cheer because the "right people" got political traction.

Never mind that they are both contemptible personally and
professionally. Never mind that smarmy condescension oozes from every
pore of their public proclamation. Never mind that they are class
warriors (even though they are personally wealthy). Never mind that
they are race and gender baiters (even though they claim to be
"tolerant" of everyone). Never mind that their ideas are destructive
to liberty, economic nightmares, and violate the very founding
precepts of our nation. What's *realllllly* important is that "the
chick and the black dude" are running. Right.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/