anthony

Default Enlarging an existing door knob hole...HELP!

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. I was hoping to keep all the old
knobs,etc., except they are completely worn out. They "grind" when opening
and closing the doors and there's metal filings all over the linings of the
holes. I should have mentioned that sooner. Maybe the original owners of
this home must have hung 100lb laundry bags on them! lol...

It's at times like this I had my lathe. I would have turned a plug and
glued it in and then redrill the holes. I learned my lesson - NEVER sell a
good tool!!

Anyways guys, thanks for the great replies and, please, keep them coming if
you've ideas. I'm not in any big hurry. Gotta keep time open for golf,
right?

anthony
"Dave Mundt" wrote in message
Greetings and Salutations.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 15:18:39 -0400, "anthony" wrote:

Guys, help me out on this....

I have an older home where all the door knobs are tarnished badly. So,

I've
decided to replace them with new ones. The problem is the old holes on

the
doors are too small to accept the new knob fixtures. Any suggestions to
achieve a professional result?

thanks,
Anthony

Well, the last time I had to deal with this problem, I ended
up making plugs for the old holes and gluing them in place. After
things had set up well, I simply used hole saws and forstner bits
to drill the NEW holes where I wanted them. Since the new hardware
was offset enough from the old that there would have been a noticable
gap, I thought this the simplist way to deal with it. If carefully
done, filled and sanded, it leaves a smooth surface that, when
painted, will make it hard to tell the holes were there.
on the other hand, if the existing hardware still works
well - why fix it? The tarnish problem can be dealt with by
making sure the doors get used on a regular basis.
Regards
Dave Mundt