Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruno Bruno is offline

Default Application of algebra

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:49:04 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

Try calculating the volume of horizontally mounted cylindrical tank with
domed hemispherical ends as a function of the height of the liquid so that
you can devise your own stab stick.

I'm horrible at higher math, but even I know you split that into a
horizontal cylinder and a sphere (for the two end shells). Solve the
height/volume for each separately, and add the results together.

And don't forget to allow for a striking pad in the bottom of the
tank at the stick hole - underground storage tanks place a big piece
of 1/2" plate there so you don't drop the stick hard a few thousand
times and manage to crack the inner wall. Or just 'the wall' on an
old single-wall tank.

-- Bruce --

Bruce you are right, the equation for the volume of a partially filled
horizontal cylinder as a function of the height needs to be derived as well
as the partially filled domes on the end. Of course a straight forward,
less exotic way is to fill the tank a gallon at a time and mark your stick.

Stu

Reminds me of a story my 6th grade math teacher (back in the 60s) told
about Thomas Edison... don't have any idea as to whether it's true or
not.

Edison hired a mathematician to calculate the volume of a light bulb.
After two weeks, the mathematician hadn't quite come up with the
answer. So Edison filled the bulb with water, poured the contents into
a beaker and checked the scale. Can't say it was that accurate, but
still a nice story.

-Bruno