Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Application of algebra

Building trades need the skill for frames and such.
Sheet metal guys need it for that Cone to pipe at 48 degrees with a branch .....
Draw that out in a sheet to cut out then bend up right.

Lots of algebra is done everyday just thinking.

Then the engineering trades - lots of math.

When not addressed, a sky bridge falls or a boiler blows...

Farmers use it - milk producers do as well. Math is a creeping into
lives everywhere - more now as more children grow up and use it.

Martin

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Hawke wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Ignoramus27711 wrote:
The point is, knowing algebra helps with metalworking

And trig. The basic 3 functions. A few years ago I built a trolley
to lift roofing shingles on a ladder:

/
/
/
/ /
/ /
/ /
+ / ----
| / x
\-------O/ ----
\ /
\ /
\ /
O/
/
/
/
/

There was an electric hoist at the top & the big question was where to
attach the cable to the trolley, so as to have equal weight on the
wheels. Too low and the cable would lift the top wheels; too high & it
would lift the bottom wheels. Somewhere in the middle would be just

right.
I solved it by summing moments to zero around 2 points, solving
simultaneous equations with lots of sin, cos, & tan values. (If you're
thinking "Why simultaneous equations when there's only 1 unknown?",
you're right, but for some forgotten reason it was more convenient to
have 2 or 3 unknowns.)

Bob

My point was that only in a small number of instances does the need for this
kind of mathematics become useful. Knowing it is great when you have to have
the knowledge to solve a specific problem. But does everyone need to take
calculus every year in high school? As the situations where this kind of
information is so small and in such specialized areas wouldn't students be
better off learning something that would be useful to all of them? American
students certainly don't take that amount of math. Have we made up a lousy
curriculum for our students or have the Asians done it wrong? When the goal
of education is to teach people what they will have a use for in their lives
does a lot of higher math achieve that goal? I'd say no.

Hawke