Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through a cinder block wall?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Robert Green wrote:

How about a carbide hole saw?

Know a good place to get a 2" one on-line? So far, I've seen them in
kits for about $200 for six. Can a regular 1/2" 110VAC drill power
one?

You might try a 2" metal hole saw. They should be available at the box
stores and don't cost much. Here's a quick hit on a 2.5" hole bit for
$15.00. http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u306624

I suspect that masonry is best attacked with "sterner stuff" - something
with a carbide or diamond tip. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've
been able to find carbide tipped hole saws for not much more and I probably
wouldn't have to worry about it becoming too dull to even finish the job.

As for 1/2" drill, should be no problem - they should run at a MUCH slower
speed than when drilling wood.

A hammer drill seems to be a better proposition for drilling through
masonry. Even the big 1" model is dirt cheap compared to some other
options. I might just use the masonry bits I have in the drill I have to
see what kind of progress I can make. The ring of small holes sounds like
the best way to go and the small bits are far cheaper than hole saws.

You could just poke an ugly opening, insert a 2.5" bit of PVC, then fill

the
void up with cement.

Well, I'm afraid that will probably be the end product no matter what
approach I take. Experience is gained proportional to the amount of
equipment or material ruined.

--
Bobby G.