Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the best way to punch a 2" hole for a drain pipe through acinder block wall?

On Jun 4, 12:35�pm, "EXT" wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in message

"EXT" wrote in message
news.com...
I have used them all. FIrst of all, I am sure you don't really have a

cinder
block wall. Many people wrongly call concrete blocks, cinder blocks which
were made from coal cinders. Making a hole in real cinder blocks is easy,
they are soft and can be punctured without much effort. Now concrete

blocks
are different, they are hard and brittle.

You are probably correct. �It has the very rough and granular texture I
associate with cinder blocks, but I'm not quite sure how to tell the
difference without a hardness tester.

You can use any method and it will not crack the block unless you use
extreme force to do the job. The easiest is to rent a large drill and bit
from your local big box store. The hardest part is to find out if you
have
two core or three core blocks. New walls will be 2 core. Whatever method

you
use will work best if you miss the web in the block. You may have to do

some
small hole drilling to find the core and web. Old blocks with 3 cores are
easy to work if you drill through the center and hit the center core.

Newer
blocks will only have two cores and you will hit the web if you drill in

the
middle, so you need to drill 1/3 of the way from the end. The year that
manufacturers changed to two core blocks will vary according to when they
changed machines and moulds.

House was built in the midst of war shortages in 1942, if that helps.
There's also a section where the block has heaved so I can get a better
idea
what I am dealing with by inspecting that section of the wall. �I believe
it's open enough to make the two/three determination.

1940s --- I would venture that you have 3 core blocks, they started cutting
back on the concrete used in the 60s.- Hide quoted text -

costs a bit more but well worth the money, makes a multi hour star
drill job a 5 minute no work event.........