Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ironwood (Lignum Vitae)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironwood

A long list of Ironwoods.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:43:17 -0700 (PDT), robo hippy
wrote:

More than you'll ever wanna know about ironwood...
http://www.pima.gov/cmo/sdcp/species/iw/illus.html

The desert Iron wood, and Lignum are 2 different trees. I have heard
that it is illegal to harvest any Lignum any more. Same with ebony. I
have a few big chunks I got from some guy who was moving out of town,
and he sold it cheap. The Only source I know of it would be Gilmer
Wood in Portland, OR
robo hippy

On Jun 3, 8:55 am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 05:54:06 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:
Caution the group on using the term Ironwood - every area or state has
an Ironwood. I have some from the South Pacific even.
Copied because Martin is about the only one that got it RIGHT. "Iron
Wood" is a local name, that changes with just a few miles even. Iron
Wood in the UK, is NOT the Iron Wood Mac is familiar with.
Just top throw one in.. As I understand it, Desert Ironwood is from the Sonora
Desert?

I was told that as folks from other countries settled the US, they named trees
that resembled ones at home.. any hard wood became "iron wood"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing