Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:53:36 +0100, Bill
wrote:

In message , fred writes
Back on topic, I still have Tin/Lead plumbing solder and have no guilt
using it on my own property in potable water joints, IMO the surface
area involved makes the risk of contamination infinitesimal.

My thoughts entirely, I always assumed that the main "advantage" of lead
free solder was to the plumber rather than the householder.
The big advantage to the householder happened years back when they
stopped using lead pipes.

I can't see there's any advantage to the plumber in technical
terms...the flow characteristics of the stuff are lousy by comparison.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk