Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

In article , A.Lee
writes
Onetap wrote:

On 3 Jun, 18:49, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

There won't be many houses around with lead internal pipes

Quite a few in my experience. For people can't do DIY plumbing,
employing a plumber for a re-pipe is a huge expense. They won't do it
until the lead springs a pin-hole leak. Lots of lead pipe lurking
behind toilets, basins and baths.

And if it is completely impervious to water, why do old lead pipes
develop pin-hole leaks? It doesn't happen with copper or plastic.

Unfortunately that is not true. I have had to change 2 15mm copper pipe
lengths recently as they were corroded through - tiny pinhole leaks. I
think it will get worse in coming years as copper pipe is so thin now
that it will corrode through so much faster.
Old pipe from 20 years ago is easily twice as thick as new pipe
nowadays.
Alan.

Do you reckon it was corrosion from original thickness or perhaps a
manufacturing defect? Maybe a thin spot or micro spot of a more soluble
impurity. I mention it as I've seen some ropey copper on some pipes and
capillary elbows.

Back on topic, I still have Tin/Lead plumbing solder and have no guilt
using it on my own property in potable water joints, IMO the surface
area involved makes the risk of contamination infinitesimal.
--
fred