Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Rod wrote:
AJH wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:48:55 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

lead in drinking water remains a relatively small source
for lead in humans.

What are the significant sources now we have unleaded petrol?

AJH

I have to ask whether using grey water collected from lead flashed
roofs could contribute significant lead to, say, the vegetable plot?

Almost certainly. Aren't brassicas hevay metal concentrators?

In cattle (apparently - for I certainly didn't know this):

"Feed contamination is also a potential problem, indeed contaminated
rice bran from Burma was the primary source of the last major outbreak
of lead poisoning in the UK in 1989."

http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/217/lead-poisoning

And mercury in tuna. Of course I eat tuna three times a day - don't you?

I keep brassica consumption down because they are goitrogens. :-)

And it seems unlikely that we will be importing Burmese rice bran for a
while.

Without the mercury, how would you know when it is cooked?

--
Rod

onset.