Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] chlessig@aol.com is offline

Default Application of algebra

On Jun 3, 1:01*am, "Hawke" wrote:
* Knowing trig will help you a lot more Iggy,

Understanding the power of a right triangle, and learning a few

multipliers
derived from some common angles like the 30, 45 and 60 degrees will make

you
look like a magician.

I totally agree with you.

Okay, so you found something where some higher mathematics actually was
worth knowing. I've never had any situation where higher mathematics was
needed. I'll wager that the vast majority of people will agree that they
have never used it either. I hear that in China and some other countries
they make students take calculus every year in high school. So I'm wondering
exactly what are all these people going to use this mathematics for once
they get out in the real world. Engineers and a few other occupations
excepted, I can't see what teaching that kind of math would be good for
since over 95% of occupations don't use it for anything.

Hawke

In the early 1960s south Korea was one of the poorest places on earth.

I was told this story. One of our trucks broke down near a jr. high
school
and some of the kids came over to check it out. The GIs let them sit
in
the driver's seat and showed them their guns.

A couple kids asked
the GIs to help them with their homework which was calculus. They
might
have thought our guys couldn't handle it. No problem. We had a math
major who ended up in the army and he was way ahead of them.
About 16% of our company were Korean linguists so that gave us
a secret advantage too.

Since then, Korea has made fantastic progress and is on the way up
in the fast lane. Best Regards, Charlie