Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 00:30:50 +0100, wrote:

Hi, if someone has used the 'wrong' solder to connect water pipes in a
house is there any way of avoiding replacing the piping?

I thought the lead leeching into the water would reduce over time.
However, I don't know if this is true and, if so, how long it would
take for the lead levels to fall to a safe level.

The house this has happend in was build about 5 years ago but the lead
levels were only noticed a year ago (and have since dropped - but not
to safe levels yet)
The piping could be replaced under insurance but would prefer to avoid
the mess if possible.

Any pointers/info greatly appreciated

It would be interesting to see actual statistics (not mere opinions)
of how many people have suffered from lead poisoning due to the use of
lead pipes and lead/tin solder.

--
Frank Erskine