Posted to uk.d-i-y
Onetap Onetap is offline

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

On 3 Jun, 00:30, wrote:
Hi, if someone has used the 'wrong' solder to connect water pipes in a
house is there any way of avoiding replacing the piping?

I thought the lead leeching into the water would reduce over time.
However, I don't know if this is true and, if so, how long it would
take for the lead levels to fall to a safe level.

You don't know; that is why the use of lead solder has been prohibited
by the Water Byelaws for about 20 years.
If it was done during the build, the builder should pay for the
remedial works. I'd assume it's a claim on the builder's liability
insurance you were thinking of.
It is unfit for purpose. The only fix would be to cut out and replace
all the soldered joints; cutting out all the pipework might be
cheaper.

Grasp the nettle and get it done.

I've no sympathy for them; every first-year plumbing apprentice & half-
competent DIYer knows lead is banned. They've made a saving on their
labour costs by employing an incompetent. The rest of the heating &
H&C installation is probably similarly carp.