Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lead solder used on water pipes

In article ,
wrote:
Hi, if someone has used the 'wrong' solder to connect water pipes in a
house is there any way of avoiding replacing the piping?

I thought the lead leeching into the water would reduce over time.
However, I don't know if this is true and, if so, how long it would
take for the lead levels to fall to a safe level.

Well, lots of lead pipe still in use. In theory you can have it replaced
for free as it's considered a health hazard. But before 'they'll' do this
you have to have the water tested to show the lead content above a certain
level and at your expense - only refunded if it proves over that. And i
know of someone in the NE of Scotland who did just this - only to find it
considered safe and by a large margin. And that area has very soft water -
in a hard water area the inside of the pipes get coated, so no erosion can
take place. It could be there are some areas with acidic or whatever water
which does dissolve lead though - I've no idea.

But in general I'd simply ignore it. It could be coincidence but the ban
on lead solder for potable water came in about the same time as the ban on
lead solder for electronic production. Which is more of a worker's H&S
thingie than concerned with the end user.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.