Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ironwood (Lignum Vitae)

Caution the group on using the term Ironwood - every area or state has
an Ironwood. I have some from the South Pacific even.

Lignum Vitae was used as shaft bushings in large ships. Perhaps shipping
companies or the Navy surplus depot has some forms that came from ships
that kept it for backup. In field replacement...

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

John wrote:
We all know Mac loves his Lignum Vitae, but does anyone know of sources
within the UK?

I have found a one, but they have only small pieces of branch 6 inch x 2
inch. The other option being redundant crown green bowls, but they again
are limited in size