Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dpb dpb is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

... In my kitchen the only things that use any standby power
are the stove, microwave, and coffee maker. The coffee maker has
a couple of LEDs that stay on, pointlessly, all the time but it
certainly uses more energy making a pot of coffee in the morning
than those LEDs use the other 23.5 hours of the day. ...

The problem w/ the coffee maker we currently have is it thinks it has to
get a second fill ready to brew any second so preheats the other water
w/ no way to disable this "feature". Not only is it a power waster, the
water level is always low from boil-off so have to add extra to compensate.

The microwave is combined in the range so nothing additional there and
it's mechanical display w/ no processor boards, there's a clock radio w/
its display, but that's it for electronic gadgets in kitchen.