Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ironwood (Lignum Vitae)

On Jun 2, 4:23 pm, John wrote:
We all know Mac loves his Lignum Vitae, but does anyone know of sources
within the UK?

I have found a one, but they have only small pieces of branch 6 inch x 2
inch. The other option being redundant crown green bowls, but they again
are limited in size
--
John

Mac will know a lot more about this than I do, but I know that
domestically, in the US, a piece 6" x 2" is considered a good sized
piece.

In my understanding, almost all of the larger sized pieces of ironwood
came from Mexico or just a little farther south.

When I wanted to turn some ironwood, I couldn't find any. Then there
was a large eagle ("crafted in Mexico") in a gift store I saw on
clearance made from ironwood. It was cheaper than buying raw stock,
so that's my experience in buying and turning.

You might look into your Pier One or any international type store or
gift store.

Hopefully, mac will be along shortly...

Robert