Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

In , Jeff Wisnia wrote
in part:

Some power strips do use power. To light up the little pilot lamp which
indicates that the strip's switch is on.

If the pilot lamp is a neon lamp of C2A/NE-2H or A1C or similar type,
the power consumption of the neon lamp and its associated dropping
resistor (for 120 volts AC) is usually around 1/3 watt.

I don't remember too clearly what I found in terms of current and power
numbers for one with an LED pilot lamp, though I do think that .4 watt
sounds about right. This can be halved with noticeably increased LED
light output if an LED costing a few cents more and much more efficient is
used.

I wonder (but am too lazy to calculate) how long that light would have
to be left on to add a penny to your electric bill. G

It appears to me that the USA national average is about 11 cents per
KWH, maybe now closer to 12, and at least will be 12 soon.

1/3 watt at 12 cents per KWH for 1 year costs about 35 cents per year.

An InGaN green LED that gets plenty bright at half a milliamp (.06 watt
at 120 VAC including dropping resistor losses), plus dropping resistor and
bridge rectifier, in production quantities may cost 15 cents more than the
neon lamp. Add some more for likely a little circuit board and assembly.
I guess the retail cost goes up a couple bucks, maybe just one buck should
they sell by millions, to save about 30 cents a year (plus however
electricity rates inflate in the future).

I would buy them at that rate. Sadly, too many people won't even spend
extra up front two years' worth of electricity savings for a more
efficient model when shopping for refrigerators!

- Don Klipstein )