Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

In article , Bob F wrote:

SNIP previously quoted material

I suspect that many wall-warts waste way more power that the electric
clock in an old oven.

All of these consume mostly 1-2 watts apiece. Electric clocks usually
consume about 2 watts.

Many but far from all wallwarts have losses more like 3, a few times 4
watts when fully loaded. Ones dissipating that much power get very warm.

Switcher type cell phone chargers tend to have losses around or under a
watt, usually well under a watt once the battery is charged.

As for power consumption of an LED in an AC-powered device, including
related power dissipations and losses in associated circuitry and the
power supply circuitry: Often anywhere from .05 to .4 watt. This is
usually .05 to .2 watt per LED in decices that have more of them. These
figures can easily be reduced by at least 75% using modern higher
efficiency LEDs, which are still usually not used for indicator lights
because they cost a few cents more than ones of technology that was
standard in the early 1980's.

Clock radios tend to consume anywhere from 1 to 4 watts apiece. Clock
displays on microwave ovens and VCRs tend to consume about half a watt to
a watt, give or take depending on the technology used.

Now, for appliances that constantly consume a little power when they are
"off":

The converter box that I just got for my older tech TV consumes less
than a watt when it is "off", but it is consuming some power to run a red
LED and to be receptive to the remote to turn it "on".
I just measured my TV as drawing 12 watts when "off", according to my
"Kill-A-Watt" watt-meter, which actually measures true power consumption
as opposed to "reactive" and "harmonic", even for electronic-ballasted
CFLs. At my electricity rate, the off-time for my TV costs me about $13
per year! I oughtta get a power strip with a switch for it and the
converter box!

My desktop computer's ATX power supply is not fully "off" when "shut
down" by any means other than turning off the switch on the back of the
power supply or disconnecting it from AC power. The motherboard has an
LED that glows whenever the power supply is receiving power, and I hear a
very brief high piched squeal of the power supply's switching frequency
becoming audible whenever I do what it takes to make that motherboard LED
go out. I now have my desktop on a power strip with a switch to make it
fully "off" when I want it "off".
At least some printers also consume a little power when "off".
Supposedly, some of those perform a cleaning operation (with some ink
consumption) when power is applied/restored.

- Don Klipstein )