John Chapman

Default Draughty sash windows - advice needed

"Ben C" wrote in message
Hi

My new home has gigantic sash windows in all the rooms. The light is

great,
but with colder temperatures fast arriving, I've realised how draughty

they
are. Does anyone have any advice on how to minimise the wind blowing
through all the gaps? I've not tackled this problem before and want to
consider all the options...

Thanks very much for any tips you can give.

Cheers,
Ben

I have loads of sash windows and it is very satisfying if a long job to
renovate them completely.
With the windows out of the frame I have fitted a product called Atomic
strip to the vertical frames where the windows move up and down. This is a
flexible metallic strip that will keep out draughts and which can be oiled
to make the windows move more easily.For the top and bottom edges I use E
section flexible rubber strip. For the joint in the middle where the windows
meet I do not use draught proofer but make certain that there are strong
catches that will pull the two windows together.
John Chapman