Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

On 6/1/2008 3:17 PM George spake thus:

DC high voltage transmission lines have lower losses and are less
expensive to build. They use solid state convertors at each end. 500 kV
was the max for a while and I know the Canadians have a line in service
for at least 20 years that operates at 735 kV DC and I read that the
Chinese recently started construction of a 800 kV DC transmission line.

Wow; so that old Tesla-Edison debate *isn't* settled science like
everyone wants us to believe, eh?

Got any good reading links on this? I'm curious. And, in a nutshell, why
does DC have lower losses? (Not disputing, just curious.)

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill