Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

Jeff Wisnia wrote
Rod Speed wrote
val189 wrote
Bill wrote

The clock on my range has never kept correct time, yet it keeps running and using electricity. (Small amount, but
many little things like this can add up.)

It's sort of hard to believe that it wasn't keeping correct time. Was
there perhaps a "cook timer" function operated by a little knob in the
center of the clock face? That's where the one on our stove's clock
is, and if you don't do the cook timer setting function correctly you
can advance the time on the clock.

Plus, you can't set the clock "backwards", so if you advance it say 10
minutes by clumsy setting of the cook timer the only way to reset the
time is to crank the minute hand around almost twelve rotations,
someting SWMBO never sees a need to do.

So I pulled my electric range out from the wall, unplugged it, and
disconnected the clock. (Only do this if you know what you are doing.)

I already have many electronic things on power strips and turn off the power strips when not in use. These things
use electricity all the time...

Now.....you be SURE to disconnect the fridge lights,
oven light, and rip out the range hood while you're at it.

Never knew about power strips...anyone care to dispute that?

He didnt say that the power strip itself uses any power, just that
he uses power strips as a convenient way to turn off what isnt used
all the time, most obviously plug packs/wall warts that so many of
the smaller devices use now, and other stuff that isnt normally
turned off when not in use.

Some power strips do use power. To light up the little pilot lamp
which indicates that the strip's switch is on.

Thats a completely trivial amount of power compared with whats plugged into it.

I wonder (but am too lazy to calculate) how long that light would have to be left on to add a penny to your electric
bill. G

Try a year or so.