Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Musing about professional vs hobby vs amateur woodturners.

I can remember when I first started in on my woodworking career that
the magazine questionaires would ask are you professional, or
hobbyist. I felt that I was, and still am a semi-pro. I work at it
pretty much full time, I pay taxes, I make enough money at it to
support my habbit in good style, and to pay all the associated bills
(business inusrance included). I don't make a living at it. I can see
how I could make a living at it, but that would require working too
hard at it, and would probably suck most of the joy out of it.
Amateur, from the root word amator (lover) One who engages in a
pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a
profession. A little of both for me, I do love what I do.

One other definition, I was attending some talk about being an artist,
and the speaker said some thing about an artist has a 'studio, not a
work shop.' A studio implys too much order for me, my chaos is a work
shop, no one who sees it would argue that point, yet some of my work
is definatly art. Quoting Anthony Yak on another forum (Wood Net), "if
it don't hold soup, then it's art".
robo hippy

On Jun 1, 2:34*am, "c.les hewitt" wrote:
After reading the post, what springs to my mind *is who the hell cares? If
you need a definition, surely an amateur in it's proper sense means one who
does it for the sake of , a professional does it for profit i.e.to earn a
living.
* *I seriously doubt many turners actually making enough to live on from
turning these days, unless they are *extremely famous, and even then they
probably make more from teaching or writing than production.

"Arch" wrote in message

We have worn out 'Art versus Craft', at least for the time being. To
further waste your time how about reviving another old and useless
debate? *I mean "What defines a Professional Woodturner or separates him
from a Hobbyist"? * It's not as simple as it looks, is it? *The work of
some professionals can be amateurish. A hobbyist's work can be very
professional. etc. etc.

In my dictionary there are several definitions of a professional that
seem to overlap both hobbyist and professional woodturners. Do terms
like 'learned endeavor', 'expert', 'code of ethics', 'for financial
gain', 'livelihood', *'long, intensive preparation' 'full time' apply
only to the professional and rule out the accomplished hobbyist? Nope.

I thought I had found a definition or a reasonable understanding that
works for me, namely that a hobby is a pursuit outside of one's regular
occupation engaged in for relaxation. But suppose that a 'hobbist who
sells is retired or has no other occupation? This would apply to an
amateur turner as well, although there is a sense of lack of experienced
competence in the term 'amateur turner'.

For those who sell and call themselves hobbists, I ask why? *For you who
consider yourselves to be professionals, how do you separate yourself
from accomplished hobbists who are retired or have no other occupation,
and sell a few birdhouses at the local flea market?

Of course the separation may not be distinct and only relates to the
degree of time spent turning and money made, but at what degree is the
difference apparent? Forty hours a week? Five hundred dollars a bowl?
What's your take? *Please respond, even if you don't care. *Orphan posts
even silly ones, are not much fun.

I've about decided that having a printed business card makes one a
professional. But suppose the work is amateurish? Here we go again.
Maybe he's an artist. Oh no, he's a craftsman, although his work is
amateurish art. In the end I reckon you are a professional or a hobbyist
(or a redneck) if you say you are. *Who cares. *

Turn to Safety, *Arch