Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Fake Square D Circuit Breakers (RECALL)

Yes. BTW, they do make them ... switches that replace circuit breakers.
If you need a lot of switches in a circumstance where you don't need the
individual overcurrent protection, and need it in a more compact space
than could be had with a bunch of 2x4 boxes, then this might be the thing.
Imagine if you have a need to individually switch on and off 80 different
7 watt lights. Would you put in 10 sets of 4-gang boxes with duplex switches
in each, or put in an 84-slot panel and 80 switches? The latter might cost
more due to the big box. The latter might not fit so well.

I don't recall if the breakers are cheaper than switches, but perhaps the
economy of scale of production for breakers could do that.

My heat pump has a switch in circuit breaker format in the disconnect
box on the side of the house. A breaker isn't necessary out there, as
the branch is protected in the main panel and nothing else is on it.