Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman[_2_] Bob Shuman[_2_] is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

Each is different ... it depends on the manufacturer. Use Google to search
for the make and model and then find the management IP address and subnet
mask, then set your computer to be in the same subnet and with the same mask
and connect to it directly. Most have web browser interfaces at the
management address, others only allow telnet, the most secure only allow
https or ssh. My info was an example to help you understand. Good luck.

Bob

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:39:06 -0500, Bob Shuman wrote:

I assume that the box gives an IP address to a computer connected to it?
What address does it give and is it public or private IP range?

FYI, My DSL box (Speedstream 4100 supplied by AT&T) will "pass through"
one
public IP address, but also does NAT if I assign static private addresses
other computers on my inside house network. If I assign computers in the
192.168.0.0/24 subnet (usable addresses are 192.168.0.2-254 with subnet
mask
255.255.255.0 and DGW 192.168.0.1), then I can open a HTTP window to the
DSL
modem by using http://192.168.0.1 . This page allows me to configure the
modem and also see statistics. YMMV.

Bob

Yeh my modem has advanced management at that address but my lan is 1.1
so it can't talk to 0.1.