Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

Meat Plow wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2008 23:55:10 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:
I wonder what parameters they measure that the router test prog can't?

Don't know. My modem is a Speedstream 5130 and separate from my pc by a
router so I can't access that data.

Don't see why a router should make any difference to that.

Well I guess not but I should have mentioned the modem has no web
interface to garner any stats from. And unless I'm missing some other
way to connect to it there isn't any besides maybe being able to do it via
it's MAC address if connected directly to the PC via the PPPoE WAN
miniport. I should toss the model number into Google and see if anyone has
been hacking at them.

However I would have to assume the tech's diagnostics dove deeper into
it as he was on the phone with another tech. He also had some pager
device that gave him a security code via satellite to allow him to log
into whatever he logged into using my connection.

All you can really test is the line status. Everything after it depends
on so many variables.

Yeh I suppose your right, I admittedly know little about the carrier side
of DSL.

Some have a tiny webserver to report system status. My cable modem uses
192.168.100.1

Name
WebSTAR DPC2100
Modem Serial Number