Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 220-440v transformer

So when you put in 240 on the 220 input the losses might be ok.
It depends on the 'regulation' of the transformer - how tightly
the two windings are to each other.

Many transformers have multiple taps on the input and/or output for
line regulation correction...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

On 2008-05-30, Dave August wrote:
Iggy,

Transformers are generaly "bi-directional" but work better in the direction
they were designed for.

I would try and get "full power" out of one backwards but it will work.
I've used 110-220 both ways and don "squirly" things with old 70Volt audio
transformers.

What I am afraid, is that out of this 440-220 transformer, I would get
not 440v, but maybe 420 volts.