Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ZIP drive to swap...

When I was one of the Engineering Managers at Mitsubishi, another group
produced special very high density drives that were 2.88M for IBM only.

I didn't know - but I suspected these were so that only certain machines
could read data and the data couldn't be copied. Might be simply a set of
files could fit on a 2M disk but not on 1.4M - so a better head was developed.

I was the DRAM Engineering manager through DDRI.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Wild_Bill wrote:
Some of the better quality 3.5" drives had a jumper to select low/high
density disks.
(maybe that was 780?kb or 1.44Mb, TEAC and SONY, IIRC were drives that
did have the jumper).
If you wanted to, an accessible external switch could be added. Most
drives are capable of detecting lo/hi density disks, but most machines
don't utilize the capability (as most machines will ignore that the
drive is empty, and attempt to read data anyway, even though there are
switches to detect that the drive is empty).

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
Junior had a client to whom I was able to provide a couple of the
lower density 3.5" drives - the equipment couldn't handle the 1.44 meg
drives. Older welding robots also needed the lower density.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada