Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tww tww is offline

Default Musing about professional vs hobby vs amateur woodturners.

'Professional' is one of the words I'd like to see made into a word
people don't use in polite company. The word 'professional' probably
means whatever someone wants it to mean. All I know is it seems to add
to the cost of a new tool when they put 'professional' on it.

On the other hand a profession goes through a series of steps as the
people in it try to control the market for their services (my
opinion). According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession

"Classically, there were only three professions: Divinity, Medicine,
and Law[16]. The main milestones which mark an occupation being
identified as a profession a

1. It became a full-time occupation;
2. The first training school was established;
3. The first university school was established;
4. The first local association was established;
5. The first national association was established;
6. The codes of professional ethics were introduced;
7. State licencing laws were established"

I guess we have a ways to go before we will need to buy licenses to
turn wood and can be members of a profession.

That link above has a long list of what describes a profession in case
you have any interest.