Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Adney Jim Adney is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

On Thu, 29 May 2008 21:21:17 -0500 "Dallas"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" said:

The attenuation is a lot higher than the proper twisted pair cable.

Darn... now you've injected doubt on this end of the testing... the 30'
connector is flat silver cable.

I'd like to rule out the wiring after the Phone Company box as the source of
the problem, so a couple of questions:

Your best test would still be to borrow a laptop that you can carry to
the end of the DSL line. You won't really have a handle on the problem
until you have checked the speed there, as well as at the end of your
30' phone cord, with the same instrument.

Once you've done that, you'll have a much better idea of where and
what the problem is.

Until you do that, we're all just guessing.

.... But now I've read others' suggestions to buy a long ethernet
cable. This is a good suggestion, and is equivalent to the laptop
test.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA