Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom remodel - keep 15A/14AWG or go to 20A/12AWG?

On May 30, 2:00�pm, CB wrote:
On May 30, 1:54 pm, Mikepier wrote:

On May 30, 1:42 pm, CB wrote:

OK - was just on another newsgroup, where someone said if the circuit
is existing, I basically just abide by the rules as they existed when
the circuit was run and don't need to run a new 20A circuit to the
bath. �Can someone confirm this? �In other words, basically all my
problems go away. �So then I would have:

Circuit #1 (existing 15A)
1 - circuit comes from panel to upstairs master bath outlet, where I
would add a GFI outlet first in the chain
2 - then over to outlet #2 in upstairs master bath
3 - then over to upstairs 2nd bathroom outlet
4 - then downstairs to 1/2 outlet
5 - then outside to the outdoor outlet

Circuit #2 (existing 15A)
1 - circuit comes from panel to upstairs master bedroom receptacles
2 - then into upstairs master bathroom for lights/switches
3 - then into upstairs closet for light
4 - then into upstairs 2nd bathroom for lights

Pretty much the only thing I'd have to do is swap out an outlet, and
insert another one in the line.

In all likelyhood, if you leave it the way it is it should be fine. I
was just suggesting if thing are wide open, and if you were adding
more powerhogs, to run a new line.
Heck, in my house now I have a 15A circuit feeding my master bath (fan/
light, vanity, outlet, 200W heat lamp) plus my master bedroom lights
and outlets, an attic ventilation fan, and 2 outside lights. I've been
in the house 4 years, the breaker never tripped. But I'm sure one day
when I do the bathroom over I will run a new line.

I'm not adding any powerhogs really. �I was just under the impression
that any remodeling effort would mean things would have to be brought
up to current code. �If I can leave the existing circuit in place,
then I've got nothing to worry about. �There's just me, 2 young boys
and my wife, so it's not like I have 3 hair dryers going at once.
Where can I find an "official" answer to this, short of calling an
electrician?- Hide quoted text -

at resale time, a up to date system is better.

and add a curling iron and blow dryer can trip a 15 amp breaker, which
got me to run a dedicated 20 amp line to the bath with GFCI.

I would at least run this if i were you. as compared to the entire
bath remodel its cheap and easy to do while the walls are open