Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Musing about professional vs hobby vs amateur woodturners.

In article ,
John wrote:

In message , Arch
writes

Also I think, that as these "august bodies" age and grow in size there
is an inexorable need to spend more money for administration and
therefore they have to resort to raising it not only by dues, but also
by activities that don't enhance prestige, such as selling advertising,
or becoming a publishing house. The American Medical Associaton and the
American Radio Relay League might be examples, but to stay on topic,
maybe the AAW and the GMC isn't there yet, but their list of
publications and videos is getting longer while the content gets more
expensive and less original.

You may have a point there, I have seen the self importance of the ARRL,
and for us in the UK RSGB grow. Admittedly they represent the members
but, the hobby is slowly being replaced for many by the Internet. Partly
due to it appearing unsociable to have a mast on ones land. Now maybe I
should take up operations and watch all these remote devices, WiFi
systems come to a grinding halt

I have no experience with the RSGB, but I certainly agree about the
ARRL.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv