Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Musing about professional vs hobby vs amateur woodturners.

In message , Arch
writes
Many thanks John, for your thoughtful and thought provoking response.
Here's some questionable thoughts that you provoked.

In my corner of the USA money may not be becoming obsolete, but it sure
is an endangered species and it's rapidly becoming extinct; disappearing
into our hungry gas tanks and greedy mortgagees.

If you think its an endangered species there, take a trip to the UK for
a week and you will need a second mortgage, Our fuel prices are
currently hovering at about 11 US Dollars a Gallon

In many trade or professional (whatever's the difference) associations,
the original rigid ABC requirements for membership have often been
reduced to AB or even A, instead of being strengthened to XYZ. I suspect
that's owing to the increasing recognition of the value of belonging and
the inability of the organizations to keep up with testing and
certifying an ever increasing number of applicants. Ex.: Medical
speciality certification boards have mostly discontinued hands on
practicals and narrative answers in favor of checking the right multiple
choice box.

That is interesting, as I see here many bodies increasing the
requirements. An example was in the recent past that for 'Gas' ( Not
sure what you call it in the US seeing you call fuel for cars Gas)
installations in the UK the requirement was to be Competent, but now the
main Registration body has convinced the Government that only their
members are suitable, and if the installation is not performed by one of
their people you will have trouble getting insurance on your building.
Maybe this is the outcome of numerous bodies in the EU clambering for.

Also I think, that as these "august bodies" age and grow in size there
is an inexorable need to spend more money for administration and
therefore they have to resort to raising it not only by dues, but also
by activities that don't enhance prestige, such as selling advertising,
or becoming a publishing house. The American Medical Associaton and the
American Radio Relay League might be examples, but to stay on topic,
maybe the AAW and the GMC isn't there yet, but their list of
publications and videos is getting longer while the content gets more
expensive and less original.

You may have a point there, I have seen the self importance of the ARRL,
and for us in the UK RSGB grow. Admittedly they represent the members
but, the hobby is slowly being replaced for many by the Internet. Partly
due to it appearing unsociable to have a mast on ones land. Now maybe I
should take up operations and watch all these remote devices, WiFi
systems come to a grinding halt

Many bodies are struggling to find good contributions, maybe as you say
less original. How many times can we turn that pen, bowl, etc.?. There
are only a limited number of ways. But to new and old alike its
sometimes understanding the difference in mechanics that matters. And as
areas of interest expand, it becomes harder to provide articles of
interest for all to read. I am still new at the game, still hoping to
complete the workshop in a few weeks. But I believe I have learnt more
on this newsgroup than I could from any book. Why ? Because it is
interactive, and that's something no video or book can provide, so we
don't get a chance to ask a question.

I will add one further thought for the wood turners here. Are Artists -
Professionals ? or Professionals - Artists ? or does each have their own
preference ?

As to rcw's fine woodturning professionals and their equally fine
hobbyist brethren, not to mention we amateurs, I don't know what to
think, but that doesn't stop me from posting too long and too often.

While turners keep thinking and keep provoking thought, conversation
debate, or even argument, the hobby or profession for some, will always
have a chance to grow, and not stagnate into total indifference.

For me Turning is just a bit of fun before lunch
--
John