Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Dan Sheppard wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

So we drive more than 5 miles a day in an electric car
That seems like a bit of a pointless occupation to me.

What, driving only 5 miles a day?

Why electric cars? Electricity is an inefficient,

Highly efficient.

but flexible energy
transmission medium. I always think it best not to think of it as a
power source, but a really cunning drive shaft type system. So having
an electric car would mean that we can have cars powered by what?

Nuclear energy. If you must, wind and wave power.

We
surely need to concentrate on getting our existing demands for things
which are very difficult to run on other fuels supplied renewably
first? Doubling or tripling demand for something you're still not sure
how to supply is a bit silly?

We know perfectly well how to generate electricity more efficiently than
a car burns fuel.
The only thing we will never run on lithum batteries is a (full size)
aircraft above a couple of people payload for an hour...

The issue being that nearly all renewable sources of energy are easily
transalatle into electricity, apart from low garde heat, which is really
only useful as a means of heating spaces.

Dont think of fossil fuels as as power source, but a really cunning
drive shaft type system. But outdated by electrical technology, and the
'batteries' that nature charged up for us over a few million years, are
running flat..

Dan.