Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Bathroom remodel - keep 15A/14AWG or go to 20A/12AWG?

CB wrote:
On May 30, 7:51 am, Mikepier wrote:

Just out of curiousity, how are the outlets/switches going to be laid
out?

Well, since I wrote last, things have changed a little. I originally
thought that I had a 15A circuit that took the following path.

1 - from panel upstairs to attic
2 - over to master bath to outlet (not GFI)
3 - hopped over to 2nd bath outlet (also not GFI)

I thought it ended there. Alas, no. The true path is:
1 - from panel upstairs to attic
2 - over to master bath to outlet (not GFI)
3 - hopped over to 2nd bath outlet (also not GFI)
4 - goes downstairs to 1/2 bath outlet
5 - goes into crawlspace over to outdoor outlet (also not GFI)

So now even if I wire everything upstairs properly on the new 20A
circuit, I have to do separate the downstairs outlets from that
circuit and do something with the downstairs outlets - I guess splice
them into an accessible, not-overloaded, available 15A circuit
downstairs?

Anyway, so to answer your question regarding layout - here's a
possibility.
Circuit #1 (new 20A)
1 - run a new 20A circuit from panel through crawl space, up the
invisible room chute into attic
2 - take this cable over to master bath outlet #1 (new GFI)
3 - take the outgoing load from this GFI outlet to master bath outlet
4 - take the outgoing load from this outlet to 2nd bath outlet
Now Circuit #1 is 20A, 12 AWG and has just three outlets on it, all
GFI protected. As mentioned above I'd have to do something with the 2
downstairs outlets that used to be on this circuit.

Circuit #2 (old 15A)
1 - this currently comes from the panel into the attic and runs to the
master bath outlet. Since I'm wiring these outlets with the new
circuit #1 above, I cut this line and route it to handle the bathroom
light switch, vanity light, and light/fan FOR BOTH UPSTAIRS
BATHROOMS. There will be no heater, which I've read means that I can
use 15A. Some have told me the light/fan needs to be GFI and some
have told me it does not - if it does need to be please tell me the
section of code specifically from NEC. If it needs to be GFI I'm
tempted to put in a GFI breaker instead of messing with mixing the
light fixtures and routing them into Circuit #1.

Circuit #3 (the other old 15A)
1 - this currently comes from the panel into the attic and powers the
whole side of my house (master bedroom, master bath fixtures, 2nd bath
fixtures, 2 closets). Since the bathroom fixtures will be taken care
of by rerouting Circuit #2 above, this circuit will basically just
power my bedroom and closet lights now.

Hmmm,
That's GFCI circuit lumped up as on line. You think the things on that
string is used all at the same time all the time? How many times this
will happens you think?