Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Query, pre-treated lumber?

On 5/29/2008 7:47 PM Red Green spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4839bf7a$0$11202
:

On 5/25/2008 12:02 PM Phisherman spake thus:

PT can be used inside, but should be limited to insect damage-prone
areas, concrete floor, or where wood is direct contact with the ground
or moisture. PT wood is best not used where food or children may
have contact. I certainly would not use pressure-treated wood to
build a picnic table, but garage utility shelves are okay. Protect
your lungs when cutting/sanding.

What exactly are the chemicals used to make pressure-treated lumber?

Lots of info on old and new PT he

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp

Hey, thanks for posting that. Good thing, too; boy, am I ignorant about
pressure-treated lumber. And I've got a job coming up that will need to
use some.

Couple things I took away from that article:

o Need to use corrosion-resistant fasteners (like G-185 galvanized).
o According to them, in the "new" PT, only 4x and larger lumber will be
rated for ground contact.
o Borate PT sounds like the best of all possible worlds: less toxic and
cheaper. Where can I get some? like tomorrow?

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill