Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Query, pre-treated lumber?

I have a stack now of pre-treated lumber we got to fix the back porch.
Since we've contracted that job out, it's now excess we can't return. They
are 8'x1"x6". About 30 of them. A bit thin for decking but generally same
stuff otherwise.

Someone remind me on this stuff? I seem to recall it's not good to use
inside but I can't recall if thats a fire reason or some sort of gas it
emits?

Before I thought of this, Don cut 1 board up to make a closet shelf. The
rest, I am looking to make into shelving in the screened porch (open to air,
right type of wood) but there's more than I need there. Will it be safe to
make garage shelves with it?

Should we replace the 6ft or so in the closet since it's inside? We used
oil based primer and paint on it which should make for a decent seal? Don's
proud of that little job so I'd rather leave it if it's safe. It would not
be hard to replace though. It's just that the closet isnt 'plumb' so
finicky to adjust the wood to angle just right. 1/4 inch smaller at back
than front etc.

Details if needed:

The garage is drafty with ceiling vents. Pipes kept warm with little pipe
heatercoils and in severe cold, an electric oil filled heater (type made for
garage use, sets to 3c but we normally run it at 5c). There is a door to
the kitchen from the garage. It isnt totally totally sealed off 'air tight'
as we found out recently when working on some plumbing but it wouldnt take
much to make it so. (we plan that anyways, spider entry located at last!)

If it helps, the garage was added later by enclosing an outdoor carport.
This means the roof part to the house is sealed and only a revamp of the
kitchen made the 'hole' to the inside. It's where the pipes run out to the
laundry area added to the garage.

What I'd like to do is line this one 'dead end' of the garage with 8' high,
roughly 5' long and 6-12 inch deep shelves to keep various
jams/jellies/preserves. I have almost enough wood to do that and just need
to get a few 1x3 pieces for the frame then metal angle brackets to attach it
firmly to the wall studs. This would be on the wall by the kitchen door.

If it seems it isnt safe for the garage, I have some other uses for it but
those were projects we didnt plan on doing this summer. All outdoor stuff.
Basically a raised container bed filled with topsoil.

Last detail before you worry (if it is unsafe inside) is that it's stacked
neatly inside the screened open-air porch. No worries where it is now.
Just where to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PT can be used inside, but should be limited to insect damage-prone
areas, concrete floor, or where wood is direct contact with the ground
or moisture. PT wood is best not used where food or children may
have contact. I certainly would not use pressure-treated wood to
build a picnic table, but garage utility shelves are okay. Protect
your lungs when cutting/sanding.

On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:07:52 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2008 12:02 PM Phisherman spake thus:

PT can be used inside, but should be limited to insect damage-prone
areas, concrete floor, or where wood is direct contact with the ground
or moisture. PT wood is best not used where food or children may
have contact. I certainly would not use pressure-treated wood to
build a picnic table, but garage utility shelves are okay. Protect
your lungs when cutting/sanding.

What exactly are the chemicals used to make pressure-treated lumber?

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
I have a stack now of pre-treated lumber we got to fix the back porch.
Since we've contracted that job out, it's now excess we can't return.
They are 8'x1"x6". About 30 of them. A bit thin for decking but
generally same stuff otherwise.

Someone remind me on this stuff? I seem to recall it's not good to
use inside but I can't recall if thats a fire reason or some sort of
gas it emits?

If it were not okay to be used, say, in a baby's crib or playpen, do you
think the Product Safety Commission would even allow it for sale?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My thanks to all who answered! I should be fine with the garage project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4839bf7a$0$11202
:

On 5/25/2008 12:02 PM Phisherman spake thus:

PT can be used inside, but should be limited to insect damage-prone
areas, concrete floor, or where wood is direct contact with the ground
or moisture. PT wood is best not used where food or children may
have contact. I certainly would not use pressure-treated wood to
build a picnic table, but garage utility shelves are okay. Protect
your lungs when cutting/sanding.

What exactly are the chemicals used to make pressure-treated lumber?

Lots of info on old and new PT he

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2008 7:47 PM Red Green spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4839bf7a$0$11202
:

On 5/25/2008 12:02 PM Phisherman spake thus:

PT can be used inside, but should be limited to insect damage-prone
areas, concrete floor, or where wood is direct contact with the ground
or moisture. PT wood is best not used where food or children may
have contact. I certainly would not use pressure-treated wood to
build a picnic table, but garage utility shelves are okay. Protect
your lungs when cutting/sanding.

What exactly are the chemicals used to make pressure-treated lumber?

Lots of info on old and new PT he

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp

Hey, thanks for posting that. Good thing, too; boy, am I ignorant about
pressure-treated lumber. And I've got a job coming up that will need to
use some.

Couple things I took away from that article:

o Need to use corrosion-resistant fasteners (like G-185 galvanized).
o According to them, in the "new" PT, only 4x and larger lumber will be
rated for ground contact.
o Borate PT sounds like the best of all possible worlds: less toxic and
cheaper. Where can I get some? like tomorrow?

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Pressure Treated Lumber (PTL) PVR Home Repair 5 May 12th 06 03:06 AM
treated lumber cj Home Repair 13 April 16th 06 03:04 PM
Pressure Treated Lumber warbler Woodworking 7 October 20th 05 09:20 PM
treated lumber stevie Home Repair 4 August 25th 05 10:33 PM
Burn treated lumber? Minnie Bannister Home Repair 12 August 29th 04 07:25 AM