Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

In article ,
Dallas wrote:

Is the "6016 kbps" an actual throughput or just the connection speed?

WAN Port Statistics

Upstream Speed:768 kbps
Downstream Speed: 6016 kbps
Node-Link 1-PPPoE
Status Up
TxPkts 57459
RxPkts 52601
Errors 0
Tx B/s 0
Rx B/s 0

That is probably the data-modulation speed which has been negotiated
between the DSLAM and your DSL modem. I suspect that the "B/s" values
at the end are the actual throughput, over the last few seconds of
operation.

The fact that the error count is zero is good news... it suggests that
the modem isn't seeing defective cells/packets.

The next thing to do is to start a download (as fast as possible) and
then re-measure the WAN port statistics and compare them to what
you're seeing on your server. If the upstream and downstream speeds
are still what you see here, but the Tx B/s throughputs are quite a
lot less, then it would suggest that the data is being throttled by
something other than the speed of the DSL connection itself.

This might happen if your ISP has some sort of explicit rate-limiting
or traffic-shaping filters in place, and hasn't yet readjusted them to
account for the fact that your account speed has been upgraded. Or,
it could indicate that your server has too small a TCP receive window,
and that the latency in the DSL connection is delaying the ACK packets
enough to degrade your throughput. Or, it might mean that whatever
site you're downloading from during your speed test isn't able or
willing to feed you at rates greater than around 1.5 megabit.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO